The United States is our 2nd largest source market and number one for holidaymaker revenue. In 2018 US accounted for 18% of holidaymakers and 22% of holidaymaker revenue. US travellers tend to stay longer and spend more and are high users of premium products.
Why should you target this market?
Building on this success, the core focus of the strategy will remain to maximise Ireland’s capacity for conversion and to get more consumers 'over the line' in 2020 with special emphasis on Regional and Seasonal dispersion. As usual, a key part of our success will be through working with you, our industry partners, to maximise the profile of the island of Ireland as a destination for US travellers.
Direct Air Access
In 2020 there will be 16 direct gateways from the U.S.A. to Ireland.
Served by Aer Lingus, American, Delta & United: Atlanta, GA, Boston, MA, Charlotte, NC, Chicago, IL, Hartford, CT, Los Angeles, CA, Miami, FL, New York, NY, Newark, NJ, Orlando, FL, Philadelphia, San Francisco, CA, Seattle, WA, Dallas, TX, Minneapolis-St. Paul and Washington D.C.
Passengers returning to the U.S.A. through Dublin & Shannon Airport, pre-clear US Customs & Immigration.
How to work with this market
Highlights of our 2020 suite of Industry Opportunities include:
- Increase efforts on affinity group travel sales development (choral/band performance, faith based, cultural and educational) to increase regional and seasonal visitation.
- Increase in-market activities targeting luxury travellers with new B2B sales platforms targeting luxury agents, operators, VIP concierge travel planners.
- Continue to programme ‘Fill your heart with Ireland’ Sales Mission events in key cities to reach the important retail travel trade segment - 2020: Dallas, Houston, Sarasota, Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, Los Angeles.
- Following 2019's successful participation, we are again giving our industry partners the opportunity to participate in an integrated partner platform at Travel Weekly’s two Global Travel Marketplace (GTM) events to connect with prequalified agents selling upscale FIT travel to Ireland and Europe.
- Provide a targeted selection of consumer facing platforms that provide significant exposure for the Island of Ireland’s golf, cultural and heritage products.
- Maximise niche segment opportunities to grow holiday revenue, regional and season visitation through soft adventure product push at Travel & Adventure Travel Shows in Los Angeles and Washington D.C.
- Increase focus on regional experiences and grow high spending holidaymakers within trade education & marketing programme in partnership with premium retail consortia partners – Virtuoso, Signature Travel Network and Travel Leaders.
- Continuation of our Industry Partnership Program - offering our partners enhanced opportunities and even greater returns at each chosen level of investment.
- Increase focus on digital publicity channels and content marketing techniques in order to seek out new opportunities to engage with US travel agents and operators by providing them with up-to-date island of Ireland product information, travel news, awards and access.
- Increase focus on digital publicity channels to seek out new opportunities to engage with the younger independent segment in the US.
- Tourism Ireland’s evolving Trade Communications program includes our Ireland Specialists Program, our dedicated Trade Website, and monthly E-zines and Webinars to our database of 7,066 key US travel industry contacts. We will continue to provide timely and targeted information & news from Island of Ireland industry and US travel industry.
Please check the site on a regular basis, register for email alerts for the latest information and opportunities throughout the year for USA. If you have any questions, drop us a line. We’re here to help.
We will continue to ensure that all 2020 promotional opportunities remain both cost and time efficient for those of you traveling to the US market. We look forward to working with you and your teams throughout 2020.
to view our complete market profile for USA.
Market Contact: Paul McDonagh