Australia & New Zealand
Australian visitors are highly prized as they tend to stay longer, spend more and visit more regions than the average visitor to the island of Ireland. Australian visitors are amongst the most valuable to our tourist industry spending 50% more per trip than the average overseas visitor. They travel right around the island and many visit in the off-season.
Since 2010, visitors from Australia and New Zealand to the island of Ireland have grown by more than +50%. In 2018, the island of Ireland welcomed more than 200,000 visitors from Australia and New Zealand. And the outlook for 2019 is good. Australia is placed in the top 10 (ranked 10th) for Irish tourism by volume and ranks 6th in terms of revenue generated.
The increased number of one-stop flights via the Middle East with Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airways, has been a significant factor in the growth in visitor numbers from this market in recent years. Cathay Pacific are now operating one-stop flights via Hong Kong which commenced in June 2018.
Australian Visitor Highlights
• On average, Australian holidaymakers stay on the island of Ireland for thirteen nights.
• Australians are highly likely to tour and to visit two or more regions on the island and spend more money as they go.
• They prefer to stay in hotels, but also like guesthouses and B&B’s.
• Australia is the 5th most important overseas market for tourism in Northern Ireland, with one in three holidaymakers from this market visiting Northern Ireland.
• The island of Ireland benefits from strong ancestral links and a shared history with Australia, with many Australian’s claiming Irish heritage.
Throughout the year there are several ways we can work with you to promote your product or service to the Australian market, including our partnership programme. The opportunities offer great value for the investment and are tailor-made to offer the right mix of opportunities to drive success.
Please be sure to check back on a regular basis for the latest information and opportunities throughout the year. We look forward to working with you to drive business from the Australia & New Zealand market!