Austalia & New Zealand
Australian visitors are highly prized as they tend to stay longer, spend more and visit more regions than the average visitor to the island of Ireland. Australian visitors are amongst the most valuable to our tourist industry spending 50% more per trip than the average overseas visitor.
Between 2010 and 2014, visitors from Australia to the island of Ireland grew by more than +50%. In 2016, we welcomed almost 227,000 visitors from Australia, New Zealand and other Oceania. Recent data from the CSO confirms that visitor numbers from Australia and other developing markets are up +6.3% in the nine months January - September, over the same period last year.
The increased number of one-stop flights via the Middle East with Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airways, has been a significant factor in the growth in visitor numbers from this market in recent years. Cathay Pacific will also be operating one-stop flights via Hong Kong in June 2018.
Australian Visitor Highlights
- On average, Australian holidaymakers stay on the island of Ireland for thirteen nights.
- Australians are highly likely to tour and to visit two or more regions on the island and spend more money as they go.
- Approximately one third of all Australian visitors visit Northern Ireland.
- They prefer to stay in hotels, but also like guesthouses and B&B’s.
- Australia is the 5th most important overseas market for tourism in Northern Ireland, with one in three holidaymakers from this market visiting the province.
- The island of Ireland benefits from strong ancestral links and a shared history with Australia, with many Australian’s claiming Irish heritage.
Throughout the year there are several ways we can work with you to promote your product or service to the Australian market including our newly launched partnership programme. The opportunities offer great value for the investment and are tailor-made to offer the right mix of opportunities to drive success.
The biennial Australia & New Zealand Sales Mission is scheduled to take place again in 2018, from 21st - 30th October. This platform offers a unique opportunity to connect with the influential travel trade and media in the market.
Please be sure to check back on a regular basis for the latest information and opportunities throughout the year. We look forward to working with you to drive business from the Australia & New Zealand market!
If you have any questions, or require further information please contact us using the following contact details:
Tourism Ireland Australia
Market contact: Sofia Hansson
Tel: +61 (0) 2 9964 6900