Australia & New Zealand
Travellers from Australia and New Zealand are important to the island of Ireland as they tend to stay longer than other visitors. Tourists from this market spend an average of 13 nights on the island of Ireland; they travel around two or more regions and spend more money as they go. In fact, Australian tourists are amongst the most valuable as they spend +90% more per trip than the average of all overseas tourists. Australian and New Zealand travellers rank 3rd for Northern Ireland and 6th for the island of Ireland when it comes to holiday revenue, and revenue has actually grown by 96% since 2011. Australia is also the fifth most important overseas market for Northern Ireland, with one in five visiting Northern Ireland.
Australia and New Zealand has seen a consistently high level of tourists to Ireland in recent years, with potential for strong growth in the future. The arrivals figures remained relatively stable in 2019, with over 250,000 people visiting the island of Ireland, following a very strong performance in 2018.
Self-connection to Ireland/Northern Ireland is still popular with 79% of direct access via the Middle-East with Emirates, Etihad Airways and Qatar Airways. It is hoped that Cathay Pacific will resume direct flights from Hong Kong to Dublin, but currently only fly via London.
Why should you target this market?
Visitors from Australia & New Zealand are highly prized as they tend to stay longer, spend more and visit more regions than the average visitor to the island of Ireland. They travel right around the island and many visit in the shoulder seasons.
How to work with this market
Australia & New Zealand Visitor Highlights:
- On average, Australia & New Zealand holidaymakers stay on the island of Ireland for 13 nights.
- They are highly likely to visit two or more regions on the island and spend more money as they go.
- They prefer to stay in hotels, but also like guesthouses and B&Bs.
- Australia is the 5th most important overseas market for tourism in Northern Ireland, with one in five holidaymakers from this market visiting Northern Ireland.
- The island of Ireland benefits from strong ancestral links and a shared history with Australia & New Zealand, with many claiming Irish heritage.
- Top performing social content includes user-generated content, and content featuring views & landscapes (vistas, aerial/drone imagery) and built heritage (castles, historic locations, cottages).
Fully vaccinated Australian citizens can now travel overseas without an exemption., and while New Zealanders are currently advised not to travel overseas, it is hoped they will be able to in early 2022.
There are several ways that you can work with the Australian & New Zealand market to promote your product or service, including our trade e-zines, monthly webinars and a Virtual Expo.
Please be sure to check back on a regular basis for the latest information and opportunities. We look forward to working with you to drive business from the Australia & New Zealand market.
Click here to view our complete market profile for Australia
Market contact: David McMahon